Recipe by Vonni Tomlinson of Pure Health Transitions
Making Your Tasty Keto Green Smoothie – In 5 Simple Steps
- Add the Greens — Grab a couple big handfuls of spinach, lettuce, kale, chard, or collards. If you are a little nervous about adding so many greens because of the bitter flavor just start slow and gradually increase to 2 cups. Spinach is the sweetest green and seems to have the most benign flavor in smoothies. Lettuce is also a good option to start with and work your way up to ‘greener’ greens.
- Add the Fat — Fats will add flavor and make your smoothie creamy. Fats are also full of nutrient and something we all want to concentrate on eating more of on any low carb diet. Add coconut cream, avocado, macadamia nuts, Pili nuts, pecans, nut butters, or coconut butter. Please don’t skip this step. If you have more healthy fat ideas be sure to let me know.
- Add the Protein — My favorite protein to add to smoothies is collagen protein because it has so many amazing health benefits, like promoting gut healing, aiding in digestion, boosting immune function, increasing energy, improving skin tone and texture, and strengthening hair and nails. I love Perfect Keto flavored collagens and these are really one of the secrets to a great tasting green smoothie. For unflavored collagen Vital Proteins is my first choice. Vital Proteins also has an excellent marine collagen. There are also some great vegan protein options to try, but just be aware of any digestive discomfort, as some people are sensitive to pea protein. Adding between 15-25 grams of protein is a good amount.
- Add Some Extra Vegetables — Remember you may be making this smoothie a meal so by adding more vegetables you can make sure you are getting enough substance, enough calories, enough fiber. Extra vegetables will also make your smoothie nice and thick if you like it that way. Try adding a couple broccoli florets, cauliflower florets, a chunk of cucumber, some chopped celery, or green cabbage. Experiment with different veggies to see what you like best.
- Add the Extras — Add some micronutrients, seeds, flavors, and textures to make it unique. You can add more textures and leave them unblended if you plan to eat your smoothie with a spoon. If you are using an unflavored collagen powder feel free to adjust your addition of sweeteners as needed. You can use a small amount of powdered or liquid stevia, monk fruit, and erythritol as safe low carb sweeteners.
Some of the extra options I recommend
- 1 ½-2 cups filtered water
- 2 cups greens - like spinach, kale, collards, chard, lettuces, parsley, basil
- 1/2 cup vegetables like: cucumber, celery, broccoli florets, cauliflower, green cabbage
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, full-fat
- 1/4 cup healthy fat source (Pili Hunters Pili Nuts)
- 1-2 scoops collagen protein or your choice of protein
- 1 cup ice cubes optional, if you like it cold
- 1 Tbsp. seeds see option chart for ideas
- 1/2-1 tsp. spice and flavor see option chart for ideas
- pinch sea salt
- 1 scoop powdered green My favorite is Garden of Life Raw Organic Perfect Food Green Superfood Juiced Greens Powder
Chop up the vegetables and greens.
Measure out your healthy fat choice.
Add ice cubes if you prefer a cold smoothie
Put the greens, extra vegetables, protein, fats, micronutrient extras, and coconut milk into your high-powered blender* with filtered water and blend on high or in smoothie mode for 30-45 seconds.
Pour into a tall glass and enjoy.