We love to see the awesome foods that can be made with our delicious pili nuts! This next recipe definitely tops the list of best all-time recipes that we've seen here at Pili Hunters headquarters. For those of you following a low carb, keto, or paleo diet, this recipe is top notch! Our favorite paleo lifestyle bloggers Michelle and Makenna gave us yet another great one to share with you all.
The dish they put together includes an awesome pili nut crusted chicken, a purple cauliflower mash (that features our pili nut butter), and an awesome micro fruit salad from May at loveurbelly.com! All photos and original recipe are posted on their blog backporchpaleo.com. Thank you ladies!
They also want to remind you all, "don’t forget the limes, the drizzle of lime juice on this pili nut crusted chicken makes all the flavors come together."
Pili Nut Crusted Chicken + Purple Cauli Mash
Pili Nut Chicken
– 3 chicken breasts, cut in half horizontally
– 1½-2 cups Pili Nuts, raw & preferably unsalted
– ½ tsp Redmond Real Salt (if pili nuts are unsalted, omit if not)
– 2 tbls fresh cilantro
– 1 tbls Otto’s Cassava flour
– 2 eggs, room temp
– splash of Red Boat Fish Sauce
– avocado oil for cooking
– lime wedges for serving, a MUST!
1.Pat chicken dry with a paper towel and season with a sprinkle of salt on both sides and set aside.
2. Chop pili nuts, cilantro and ½ tsp salt with all together until you have a nice small chop on those tasty pili nuts. I’ve tried using a food processor to do this, but these luscious nuts are so buttery, that they release their oils fast, so take the time and chop up the old fashioned way. Once you have a nice fine texture, add the cassava flour and toss about to get a nice coating on the mixture. Should have pretty flecks of green from the cilantro! Place in a shallow bowl/plate and set aside and reserve a small amount for garnish before you dredge that raw chicken in it!
3. In another shallow bowl/plate, whisk up eggs and fish sauce until well combined, and set aside.
4. Set up your assembly line! Dip a piece of chicken in the egg/fish sauce mixture then place in the pili nut mixture and press to make sure you’re getting the whole piece coated. Carefully place on a plate and repeat with remaining 5 pieces of chicken.
5. Heat up cast iron skillet over medium heat, add avocado oil and let warm. Carefully place 2-3 pieces of chicken in pan and cook until pili nuts are golden brown. Flip carefully with a thin metal spatula and cook until other side is golden brown and chicken is done. It’s best to have the heat a little bit lower as these nuts can burn fast if the heat is up too high. Take your time, you want that chicken done on the inside before those nuts get too dark.
6. Once chicken is done, remove from pan and place in a warm oven. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
7. Serve with purple cauli mash and lime wedges, and reserved nut crumble for garnish.
Purple Cauli Mash
– head of purple cauliflower, cut up into small florets
– 2 oz Pili Nut Butter, room temperature
– Redmond Real Salt to taste
1. Steam florets until fork tender.
2. Place florets in food processor and whirl away until completely smooth.
3. Add pili nut butter and whirl around again until fully combined.
4. Add salt to taste and keep warm until chicken is done.
"Micro Fruit Salad is optional but super dreamy!"
Photos and recipe provided by Michelle (@backporchpaleo)